Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My First 5K!

So, I did it! I ran my first 5K - the Purple Stride run, for Pancreatic Cancer. It was awesome. So much fun, and it got me totally excited about running.

I've blogged before about how I really don't love to work out - I'm always looking for motivation since I don't love the gym, and I really used to dislike running as well. It seems that signing up for that 5K was the best thing I could have done, though, because I genuinely enjoyed training for it and the race itself was really a great time. I ran the race with some friends from law school (and one friend who I know through a law school friend). The three of them had all run races before (one has even done a couple of marathons). I was the beginner in the group, but I held my own! We are even planning on running another race in a few weeks in Brooklyn!

My sister came to cheer me on, and surprised me by bringing my mom too. They took this picture as I rounded the last corner towards the finish line.



Right after that, racing to the finish line:



And here I am right after I finished.



I was proud of myself!

So let's talk about timing. I usually run a 10 minute mile. I happen to think that's amazing, since I'm really not the athletic type and I've never been a runner. I've been getting faster - one day I even ran a 9:40 mile! I know I'm getting faster and that just amazes me. But anyway, the first mile of the race was really crowded and so nobody could really run so fast. It was about a 12 minute mile (according to my MapMyRun app).  After that first mile though, I was able to run my normal pace- right around 10 minutes per mile. My official time was 33.59. That isn't really reconciling correctly with my app, so I don't really know which to believe. Either way, I know I usually run faster than that official time. At least now I know that the first part of races may be really crowded so I shouldn't expect to get off to a very quick start.

Have you guys ever run any races? Did you find that the beginning was really slow? 

4 comments:

  1. I'm running my first 5k in Oakland on May 11th! Nervous and excited -- thanks for the tip about the first mile being really crowded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! You'll have a great time. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. I'm running my first official 5K next weekend in the Bronx. I know it's going to be hilly, but I am hoping it's not crowded. Who goes to Riverdale to run a race anyway? My fast time is a 12 minute mile, but with the necessary walking when running through the trails in Van Cortlandt Park, I usually average a 15 minute mile. Hopefully I don't slow down too many people, but I know many people walk this 5K, so I may be slowed down by them! Congrats though! Running is my new favorite form of exercise. It's so fun to get somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Enjoy it - I'm sure you'll do great!

      Delete